Friday, January 21, 2011

And then there was none

I’ll start at the end. I will probably be returning home in February. I am not sure what date. I will definitely be returning home alone. I’ll give you a second to read that again and catch your breath….


On January 17th I gathered all three children for the interview. I was interviewed. The birth parents, Sharon and Bena were interviewed. The children were interviewed. Denise (Danice) father did not show up so her file cannot be addressed until he shows up. He sent word that he is too busy and has no intention to taking a day off from work. I was given disturbing news that another layer of processing has been added to the case. Now there has to be a risk assessment officer assigned to the case to determine how quickly it will go before the board. At first I didn’t know what that meant. Assessing me? The circumstance? The parents? I could not get a clear answer.  I was told to call back the next day to get the name of the officer who will answer my questions. In addition neither of the birth parents brought ID so they technically were not able to give adoption consent. That was upsetting to me towards Sharon since she was told by my mother to bring her ID. Besides, who does any government business without ID? Bena promised to bring hers the very next morning. Sharon had excuses. The assessment can not start until the consent forms are signed. After Sharon’s interview she tells my mother than she does not want to sign for Peyton unless Denise gets to go too. That was the first bomb. She had never put a condition on her consent before. That night I confronted her. She tells me she thinks it would be better to wait to give consent until the father signs for Denise. I let her know that I cannot wait for Denice and I never said I would hold up the entire process for her. If we ever find her father to give consent I can come back.  I am running out of time and I need to get back to the States. I ask her who will take care of Peyton when I have to go back. She says, “I will”.

The next day I call the social worker. The initial review of the risk assessment says NONE of the children are at risk. That means there is no reason to expedite the cases because all the children can stay with their birth parents or in Denise case at the orphanage. I protested for Peyton and was told that during the interview Sharon told the social worker that she is capable of taking care of her own child and gave the impression that she does not want Peyton to be adopted at all. For that reason all the cases will go through normal channels which could take as much as a year to complete. I pleaded my case and the best I was given was that they will try to get an assessor out to Sharon’s “apartment” to determine if the child is adequately cared for. If there is an issue, they will take Peyton and put her in a convalescent home. In five months Shraon’s rights will be terminated and I can adopt her from there without consent. However, in Guyana living standards are very low. Chances are her one room, one bed living space is just fine for an infant.

Last night I prayed all night. I begged God to not let me go home empty handed. I prayed for Sharon. I prayed for Denise. I prayed for peace and lastly I prayed for God’s will. I’m sure some see this entire story as being a sick joke. I know I certainly feel like the butt of it. I am sure I will have a lot of processing to do. Father Wright, you might want to get your appointment book out.

I plan to continue the process to adopt Akira, but I will do it from home. She will go back to her grandmother . Her mother is 100% in favor. Akira is already so a part of our hearts. She calls me Mommy Persis. She already has an active sign language vocabulary of at least 20 words and it grows every day. She has been with us for two weeks now and we will keep her until we leave. She is a constant source of entertainment because she talks nonstop about anything and everything. She is as smart as a whip and a joyful handful. Too bad I have to leave her now that I’ve finally gotten used to her speech. I feel she will be okay and pray her innocence will keep until I can come back for her.

Denise will most likely age out of the orphanage. On Monday I had her outside of her environment for the first time for an extended period. She was very antsy as all children are. I had to constantly run after her and my redirecting only resulted in a smile and another bolt for the door 5 minutes later. It became evident that she does not give you anything past a head nod and a beautiful smile. I never really had a chance to observe her before. Then to add an infant and a 4 year old to her vie for attention, she had a breakdown. She just started bawling and I could not figure out why nor could she tell me. I was told all along that she was simply slow to talk. But it’s obvious that she needs extensive testing and maybe to be an only child too. I admit that I was too busy falling in love to see that.

Peyton. I will not forget you. Thank you for allowing me to love and care for you for two months.  I gave you my all as is my nature.  I release you to God’s care.

I have witnessed children of my family in all stages of need in this country. Children begging on the street, begging for love, begging attention, begging for knowledge, begging for attachment, begging for understanding. I tried to help.
I can’t describe how I feel. I’m sure you can all imagine. Know this. I will not lose my faith. My faith in God and in humanity. I do not intend this to be the end of my journey. Thank you for all your prayers and contributions.

Still in His service, just a little battered and bruised

No comments:

Post a Comment