I've been back in the United States of America for just over two weeks. The outpouring of love and greetings have been overwhelming. I am filled to overflowing with gratitude not only for a safe arrival home, but for the host of angels in human form who have come to lift me up. I had just landed at Kennedy International Airport in New York on February 8th and my phone already had voice messages from friends welcoming me home. Upon arrival to Atlanta I was greeted by my doula sister and treated to dinner. For the past two weeks I have been blessed over and over again. I've had to recount the irrational, yet conceivable actions of my cousin. I've had to repeat the heartbreaking account of giving Peyton back to her birth mother after mothering her for three months. I've had to explain the sad story of Denice remaining in the orphanage despite our efforts. But I also have declared the goodness of God in working things out for my good.
I left for Guyana with breast milk, faith, and a willing heart- not much else. I didn't plan too much ahead. My reasoning was more connected to not knowing when I would return. The idea of not coming home with a baby did not really enter into the equation. Yet here I am and I am okay. Actually I am more than okay. I am victorious. I am convinced that sometimes God just wants to know if you are willing. Will you respond to His call? Or will you come up with every excuse as to why you are not enough? We are all more than enough, but our own fears stop us from growing...Growing in faith- Growing in endurance- Growing in love. I didn't know exactly how I would have managed as a self-employed, single mother of an infant and an institutionalized six year old who didn't talk. I left that up to God. And in that quiet surrender of the details of life, I found peace. Peace- that clearly says, "What I have for you, is for you"
I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
Akira (pronounced: Ah-kee-rah) is an amazing little girl. She is vibrant and intelligent. She has a smile to light up a room and a curiosity that is insatiable. She talks non-stop about everything she has observed in her conscious four years of life. If you cannot or will not engage her, she will simply continue on her own. She likes to play with books. She does not know how to read or even recognize letters, but she loves to make up stories with the pictures. She enjoys educational videos and of course, the american sign language videos. Before I left I purchased LeapFrog, Blue's Clues and Dora episodes and then sent a portable DVD player for her. She enjoys playing and demands attention. Her body structure is small compared to the growth chart for a 4 year old, but she is well nourished. She has no problem expressing herself or giving her opinion. So far her biggest issue is that she forgets to go to the bathroom because of her perpetual state of excitement. I call to Guyana several times a week for updates. My mother has stayed in Guyana to help care for Akira. My father has traveled to Guyana to care for my mother. They are a pair to love birds who function much better together than apart. I was happy to put my Daddy on a plane to join his bride. Together they are operating as Nana and GrandPa to the sweetest little firecracker in the world. Pray for them. Smile. No, seriously. PRAY. :-)
So where are we now with the adoption? Before I left Guyana I completed the initial requirements for the adoption process which includes the interview and the newspaper submission to advertise the intent to adopt. That publication must run for three weeks. After that time my lawyer will submit an order to the courts to give the adoption board the right to fully investigate the request for transfer of parental responsibilities and rights. On March 30th I am required to appear in person before the board where they will make the final recommendation to the courts to grant the adoption. Then I have to wait for the judge to sign the final order. Once that occurs we must apply for a new birth certificate and passport to take to the US embassy in Guyana to obtain a visa for travel. I do not have a solid time line as to how long this could all take. The journey is not over and your payers are still needed. My prayer is that my daughter will celebrate Easter as an American citizen. I have returned to earn a living and prepare for Akira. When I left for Guyana in November, my mindset was on an infant. Now I need to advance 4 years into the life of a preschooler. I must admit I am excited and nervous at the same time. With a preschooler the learning curve is quite different for her and for me, but I am so happy she has already "accepted" me as her new mommy. What a great start!
Yah love me? Yes baby, Mommy loves you.
In His Service,
Persis

Love it and love you, Persis! The path to mother hood is not always easy but it is always worth it in the end! Looking forward to your "And they lived happily ever after".
ReplyDelete